People tend to let life happen and accept that it will. Here are five reasons why goals are important regardless of what topic you’re discussing, be it work, play or relationships.
1. Setting goals keeps you focused. Imagine a ship sailing without a destination in sight. As it travels wherever the winds lead it, its supplies will eventually run out and the crew would likely resort to cannibalism to survive.
Although it may not be so dire, a lack in goal setting will result in you getting nowhere specific. Setting a goal, whether it’s for work, hobbies or relationships, will help you stay on track to success and fulfillment without getting off-track.
2. Setting goals helps you create a plan of attack. Knowing how far you have come can help you to determine how much more you must do and how you should pace yourself.
If you have a goal to save a million dollars for retirement and you think you are two decades away, but you only have $500,000 saved, then you will need to save $2,100 each month.
3. Setting goals can motivate you. You can never say it will happen tomorrow without a goal. There will always be tomorrow, no matter what, when tomorrow arrives.
A timetable and a goal will help you take responsibility for your actions, as well as force you to get off the couch.
4. You can reach your full potential by setting goals. Every person has amazing talents and abilities that lie hidden within. However, very few people use those talents to make a difference.
It’s a great way for you to develop and sharpen your natural talents and set goals.
5. Setting goals will keep you focused. People often give up on their dreams and become discouragers. You can set a goal and stay focused on it. This will help you avoid falling into depression and self-pity when things don’t go your way.
You’re aware of the magnificent view from the summit of the mountain, and you are determined to see it, regardless how difficult the climb.